Osceola County was originally created in 1887 and prides itself on being a county rich in history and life. It is named after the Seminole Warrior Leader, Billy Powell, who adopted the name Osceola meaning “black drink crier” at a tribal ceremony around 1820. Osceola County serves as the south/central boundary of the Central Florida greater metropolitan area. Osceola County was formed from portions of Orange County and Brevard County, and originally served as a transportation hub in the late nineteenth century for riverboats and railroads. Because of this, early Osceola County began a cattle, sugar, and lumber-based economy. While you are unlikely to hear one today, beginning in the 1860s the cracking sound of cowboys’ whips filled the area as they drove herds of cattle through the scrub brush of Osceola’s open ranges. These Florida cowboys became known as the “Cracker Cowboys” after being named this in a Harper’s News Monthly Magazine by Frederic Remington in 1895. This is where the term known today as “Florida Crackers” is derived from. The county seat, the city of Kissimmee, lies just outside of the city of Orlando. Kissimmee is home to many popular tourist locations and is also home to the historic Makinson Hardware retail store, the oldest retail hardware store still operating in the State of Florida today. The only other incorporated city in Osceola County, St. Cloud, was founded on the former St. Cloud Sugar Plantation and was an early home to the largest concentration of Union Army veterans in the South. Today, most of Osceola County’s population can be found in the two incorporated cities, Kissimmee and St. Cloud, an urban area. The county’s economy is dominated by tourism as it serves as a “gateway” to Disney World and other major Central Florida tourist attractions. Beyond the northwest quadrant comprised of Kissimmee and St. Cloud and to the south and east, the county is dominated by ranch lands and undeveloped prairie woods with the exception of a few very small rural towns such as Holopaw, Kenansville, and Yeehaw Junction.