You hear mold is everywhere—you can’t avoid it—and that its only an issue when it finds the right conditions in your home to begin growing a colony. But, when that happens—will you know?

Below are major indicators you may have mold growing in your home, even if you can’t see it.

The Chimney Smells “Weird”

Many Florida homes surprisingly have a chimney—and they can be a breading ground for mold and other issues since they are often left unused. Chimneys are often made of porous brick and may not be fully sealed against the elements. This leads to moisture getting into the chimney and settling into the small cracks and crevices of the brick, providing an ideal breeding ground for mold to grow and to grow unseen. If you notice your living room or den—or wherever in your home your fireplace is located—has a faint undeterminable smell, then it may be the mold growing catching the attention of your nose.

Your Allergies or Asthma Have Been “Acting Up”

Mold growth in your home can cause those with environmental allergies to have their symptoms flare up and others can be allergic to the mold spores. If you notice that your eyes are watery or itchy, have been sneezing, or have a slight runny nose but have deep cleaned the home again and again, there may be mold hiding in areas unseen—like behind the drywall in your bathroom or in your air conditioning vents.

The presence of mold can also be dangerous to those who have asthma as the mold spores can get into your lungs and trigger an asthmatic response. Statistically, mold is the cause of a fifth of all cases of asthma.

Your Skin Feels Tingly

Mycotoxins quite literally means “fungus toxins” and is poisonous and harmful to your health. It is produced by poisonous, or toxic, mold. The most commonly known and one of the more dangerous varieties is Black Mold (Stachybotrys Chartarum). Some individuals are allergic to mycotoxins, even if they are not allergic to other environmental factors. A common allergic reaction to mycotoxins is a tingling, burning, or itchy sensation on your skin. This feeling is a reaction to your body releasing histamines in response to toxic mold.

Paint Is Bubbling On The Walls

Peeling or bubbling paint is not the result of age, but it is the result of moisture. And, often, when there is moisture, there is also mold. Bathrooms and around windows are some of the more common places to see bubbling or peeling of paint. Never try to paint over the bubbling paint to “fix” it. Instead, have a professional mold inspection conducted to confirm your suspicions and have the area treated and then properly repaired.

You Have A Cough But No Cold

Mold doesn’t just affect the lungs of those with allergies or asthma. Mold spores can infect healthy lungs and prolonged exposure can cause a chronic cough. If you have had a persistent cough over the last two weeks and no other symptoms develop during that time, your difficulty breathing may be the result of mold infestation in your walls, vents, or other hard to see areas.

Just because you cannot see mold, does not mean it is not there. In most cases of visible mold, it was there long before the colony became visible to your eye. If you are recognizing any of the above scenarios to ring true in your household, then having a professional mold inspection will either help put your mind at ease or help you identify the area(s) of your home that require treatment. Our mold inspectors are certified and highly experienced. We also use specialized technology to “see” the mold hiding behind walls or hidden in attics or crawlspaces.